BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, January 29, 2010

Look Ma I made the news :-) (what can I say, it was a slow day)

January 31st, 2010

So this is something that i completely forgot to blog about (but i did make a Facebook status, to all my Facebook friends out there) but one day about 2 months ago while midway through teaching i hear a subtle knock on the door. A few seconds later a man with disheveled hair and a pen and a pad walks in and peaks his head through. I look at him blankly and he stares back at me blankly and I'm thinking "am i being Punk'd?" Suddenly he's going on and on about some sort of interview and how i was suppose to be told about it (and of course i wasn't but quel surprise) So totally caught off guard i ask when he would like to conduct this interview and he says, how about now, in the back of the class..... the one where my students are present and I'm only a few feet away... hmm... ok...

So we sit in the back and the first thing he asks is "do you speak French?" .... my response... sure why not, let's go with my usual "un peu" ("a little"). The next 20 mins would be an awkward mix of me repeating "quoi?" ("what?") a bunch of times and him responding in nervous giggles when i misunderstood what he said. So overall successful....kinda. To make matters worse i get super nervous when i speak French around my students so the fact that they were in earshot was a little unnerving. However i was able to get through it and as our interview was coming to a close he lets me know that there is the small matter of a picture to be taken. For those of you who know me, you know that i cannot stand to have my picture taken and of course i wasn't really looking particularly glamorous that morning. I decided to be a good sport and take the picture with a smile. He left in a bit of a hurry without leaving any details as to when, why, and where this article was to be published. I of course was too puzzled so i just left it as that... Fast forward to last Thursday when I'm locking up my classroom i hear a voice behind me. I turn around to find a colleague greeting me and wondering if i had seen the article about me downstairs. That's when i remembered that fateful day. I quickly hurry downstairs to the bulletin board where i see a small clipping from a newspaper that reads: "Une Americaine au Lycee Aubrac" ("An American at Aubrac High School") and the best part, the photo turned out pretty well :-) i decided to make a photo copy as a keepsake. I'll try to scan it and post it in my next blog post (that is if anyone really cares) To make a long story short: i'm kind of a big deal (lol i kid)


Bisous,
HK

5 comments:

Kinzie said...

I wanna see it! That's so cool. :)

shannon said...

Awesome!

I was interviewed last year during Obama's Inauguration. I was a nervous-wreck and running on two hours of sleep and loads of coffee. Luckily, the journalist made me sound all intelligent in French. But having my picture glaring back at me on the cover of the newspaper the next day? I couldn't go anywhere! Between my students, the teachers, people in town, and the guys who work at the cafe I always go to, I couldn't get away from the article.

Gwan said...

That's so cute that they put it in the paper! I know what you mean about being super nervous speaking French around my students. It's mostly because they laugh and make fun of me if I do. I always promise that I will likewise laugh at their mistakes, but I never do... well, sometimes, but only if they're genuinely funny, not just because they can't speak properly!

Oneika said...

Hey H.K.!

Feeling nostalgic at reading your blog because it reminds me of my days as an English assistant in France!! Sigh, the memories! Definitely thinking of applying to do the program next year! My two years in France were the best!

Keep on posting and keeping us updated!!

H.K. said...

@ Shannon: LOL at least you were interviewed for something very important and life changing.... i was just interviewed for being an American, it just seems a bit odd LOL but nonetheless it was pretty cool.

@ Gwan: i know what you mean, i always think my students will laugh at my mistakes but most of the time they don't.... it's just me worrying too much... i suppose with time it will feel more comfortable... hmmm j'espere LOL

@ Nikita: Thanks for reading! i really love my time as an assistant but i see that you are on a great adventure as well! i would love to have traveled to all the places you have been. p.s. i <3 your blog :-)