BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moving Forward

So I've finally decided to move from out of the shadows of obscurity into the blinding light of reality. I know that a blog post is long overdue but to be honest I wasn't ready just yet. For the past 3 months that I've been back I've really taken an analytical look at my life as a whole and where i want to be. I've had such an amazing time catching up with my family and my friends. I spent the end of May, June and the middle of July living back home with my parents and two siblings in Albuquerque. That in itself was an adjustment. I did eventually make it back to Houston, a city that I am falling in love with all over again. In the month that I've been here I've gone to the Houston International Jazz Festival, my first Astros game, and saw Corinne Bailey Rae in concert. I feel honored and privileged to live in a city that allows me such access to arts, sports, and whatever else tickles my  fancy. Besides that I've gotten to spend time with so many people that I love. So alls well... well enough anyway.  
I don't like to complain but.... if i did have any complaints it would be 2. 1st one is I wish my goals were moving a little faster than they currently are. Even though i will say majority of that is my fault. I didn't properly plan my "after France" plans so well but in my defense it was because i wasn't sure where i wanted to go at that point.  Funny thing is i was thinking about teaching when i was in France but when the 9 months was up I realized that teaching is not something i want to do at all. What i want to do is work in an International climate helping people. Thus making me come to the conclusion that i want to work for an NGO, become a International Policy Analyst or manage a non-profit organization. All of which require some form of graduate studies. So without hesitation I'm taking the GRE and grad school is in the cards for me next year Insha'Allah (God willing). I guess my impatience can be contributed to the fact that i turned *gulp* 26 this July. I think it's just scary for me because I felt some sense of failure because I thought my life would be at a different place. I guess you're suppose to think that at 26 you'll be married, with a child or two, at the pinnacle of some great career and become a certifiable adult. But i don't have any of those things.... YET. This article came out in the New York Times called "What is it with 20-Somethings?"  more or less claiming that 20 somethings of this generation are stalling and putting off adulthood in order to find themselves. It's funny because i never really thought about it like that. I never, and quite frankly, still don't think I'm putting off adulthood. I just think my definition of adulthood is different from that of my parents. I've had a lot of min i setbacks that delayed me from this, that and the other but really who's life am I suppose to model myself after?  God gave us each an individual life so we could make the best decisions  based on our own judgment. I can only hope I'm making the right choices. So in the meantime i plan to do loads of volunteering, start taking classes at the Alliance Francaise, and save some money for my grad school endeavors. 
Which brings me to my next complaint: I miss France, so much it physically hurts. Which ties into grad school. I've been heavily researching ways in which i can study in France next year. I'm looking into schools in Lyon, Paris and Montpeillier. I'm also looking into grants and fellowships there so I'm not giving up on another year in France..... :-) So there you have it. Life's a roller-coaster and I'm just trying not to fall off. I hope you stick with me through my journey. stay tuned :-)


Bisous,
Hali

2 comments:

kay* said...

I just blogged a very similar post. I'm turning 29 in a few days and while I'm no where near where I thought I would be (engaged, senior-level gig) I'm exactly where I know I should be. Like you I've also rethought my career path - I worked in entertainment publicity and have decided to pursue a career in international development...so in a few months i'll be heading off to india to work for 1 year at a non-profit. scary and exciting.

i look forward to following your journey.

H.K. said...

Wow Kay, that's awesome! i can't wait to hear about your adventures in India. I'm also glad I'm not alone in this whole "finding myself" thing. I like how you said you're where you should be. That's a new perspective that i never really thought about. I guess I'm actually where i should be too. After-all, there isn't exactly a handbook on life. Thanks for your words :-)