BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Parlez-Vous English? :-/

So I finally came through and actually did something that I said I was going to do. I went to the French Meet-up at La Madeline and I must say I would give the experience a "B". Here are some observations that I made of the evening:

1.) Larissa (the invitee and a former classmate) is awesome. Not only was she very patient with me but she encouraged me not to rely on my English. Not to mention she hardly ever spoke in class so I was fooled into thinking we were at the same level speaking wise….. Sadly to say we are not, she surpasses me tenfold. However I think this really helped because God knows I wouldn’t have been able to carry the conversation.
2.) There were several awkward moments, which were to be expected. It was a truly strange feeling to be surrounded by people speaking French and only French; if I didn’t know better I would have thought I was already in Marseille. I found myself staring intently at certain people trying to grasp all the things they were saying. I’m sure they were wondering why this strange girl was staring at them….. I’m awaiting my restraining orders.
3.) I found that my ability to understand the French that was being spoken depended on who was speaking. For example, there was this very nice girl who was sitting next to Larissa named Claire. She had studied abroad in France for awhile therefore her speaking abilities were pretty good. For the most part I understand all of what she said. However I couldn’t say the same for the (young hot) French boy who was sitting next to me, in fact I refused to make eye contact for fear he would attempt to talk to me. Then there was this other French girl who spoke très très vite! (very very fast!) I could understand it all but it took awhile to process. It made me realize how fast I speak English and now I feel sorry for everyone.
4.) French people (or rather French speakers) smoke like chimneys. Even the young ones….. They obviously have not seen those “Truth” ads on T.V. Tsk. Tsk.
5.) I had my first (what I’m calling) “Bisous” experience. I’m not a big fan of touchy feely moments but I think I did well. Two kisses to the cheek and it was done. I actually think it’s a pretty sweet way to greet people. Who knows maybe I will initiate the next one…..Maybe ;)
6.) I will go again! I had a really great time. Although it was very challenging I felt it was very helpful in allowing me to see what type of problems I may encounter in France. I’m definitely going to get some books and practice, practice, practice. Next meeting I intend to shock and amaze everyone..... well maybe just me but either way i can't wait :)


Side note: i got an email from the Embassy giving me the emails of all the other assistants. It was a pretty hefty list which kinda surprised me. I'm ecstatic to find more people who are sharing this experience with me. Anyway that's all i have folks.

Bisous
Halima

0 comments: