BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Il faut Pratiquer

So yesterday I went to the Houston French Language meet-up group for the second time ever. If you’ve followed my blog from its debut you will recall the first time I went. Yesterday was pretty awesome. Instead of the butterflies and constant feeling that I may vomit at any moment, I felt self-assured and ready to put my French-speaking skills to practice. This is how it went: First observation was there weren’t as many people there as last time. Moreover, I didn’t hear the boisterous noise that tons of voices speaking French at the same time usually make. Larissa (the same friend that accompanied me last time) and I made our way to a little corner and began conversing. It went well, of course I was making tons of mistakes and wondering if in fact I did spend 8 months in France but I told myself that I at least made an effort to come out so that in itself is a step in the right direction. Before long we had some other contributors to our conversation. Tho and Brandon started speaking to us and my mouth suddenly closed up with shame because here were two people who had that marvelous accent that I’ve been trying to attain since I started this “I want to speak French” journey. Turns out that Tho is actually from Paris and Brandon from Montreal so I guess I shouldn’t feel that bad….. But I’m still envious. Later on we had another conversationalist join us, Stefan, who also had that marvelous accent and ability… oh and did I mention his mother is French. Le Sigh. Soon the conversation started to turn from French to Franglais and then eventually English lol. It was then that Larissa and I found out that Stefan is actually one of our former French professor’s sons. Small world eh? It was really a great time and I hope to continue going often. I’m really passionate about keeping up with my French speaking skills and I think this is a great way to do it and meet people. Tis all for now. Later folks.





Bisous,


Hali

0 comments: